Same-Sex Partner Visa – apply for an unmarried partner visa

Same-Sex Partner Visa

If you are living in Thailand, much like any other place in the world, there is the potential to find yourself in a relationship with someone of the same sex, most commonly with a same-sex partner. If you are in a serious and subsisting relationship you may wish them to join you in the UK  this visa is often called a same-sex partner visa, or perhaps an unmarried partner visa application.


The Unmarried Partner Visa allows long-term partners the opportunity to reside in the UK if they are in a relationship that is pretty much akin to a marriage. Your partner would be able to stay in the UK for 30 months with an added option to stay in the country for a further 30 months. This option is not only available to those who are in a relationship akin to marriage but also unmarried and same-sex partners. If you do opt to take this route, it will give your partner the opportunity to apply for Indefinite Leave To Remain (ILR) after 5 years.


Like all UK Visas, the financial requirements should be clearly understood prior to the application. Just in the same manner as if you had a Thai lady, there are certain criteria that must be met with regards to ENTRY Clearance and ILR. It is always worth seeking advice from a professional company to ensure that this is the most appropriate route but essentially, the following points need to be taken into account before they apply.


  1. Like with a Thai girlfriend, your relationship with a same-sex partner must be genuine and subsisting. For this to be applicable for a visa, both the applicant and the person settled in the UK must have resided together in a relationship for a minimum period of 2 years and intend to cohabit long-term, with no intentions of ending the relationship.
  2. As with all other long-term visas, the financial requirements must be met with evidence to prove that this is the case.
  3. Both parties will be required to live together on a permanent basis, therefore; the accommodation must be suitable to house both parties in the UK without the risk of overcrowding.
  4. The applicant must also have sufficient knowledge of the English language and have passed the A1 (IELTS) Test or meet the other stated requirements.


In circumstances where your partner already has a valid leave, they may be able to convert their visa via the Unmarried Partner route and if all of the requirements listed above are satisfied. If you need a professional help please feel free to contact us.


Contact US