Apply to settle in the UK – family visa – spouse or partner ,fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner application

It seems that an increasing number of Brits living in Thailand are now considering moving back to the UK and taking their Thai wife and children back with them. It should go without saying that they will require the correct visa in order for this to be achieved and this is where the UK Border Agency, Spouse Visa comes into play. As one of the only UK OISC accredited companies in Thailand, here at the Thai Visa Express, we are in a perfect position to be able to help you with your application.

Overview – how to settle in the UK – spouse visa & family visas
You need a family visa to live with a family member in the UK for more than 6 months.
If you’re outside the UK – heads up on settling in the UKYou can apply for a family visa to live with your:
  • spouse or partner
  • fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner (extension in the UK)
  • child
  • parent
  • relative who’ll provide long-term care for youIf you believe that a UK Settlement Visa is the right option for you, our team will be on hand to guide you every step of the way.
What do I need?


Firstly, it is important that you are legally married and that your Thai spouse is over 18 years of age. The applicant then needs to take and pass the A1 English Test which has recently been updated to the IELTS test, also known as the IDP English test. The applicant will then need to undergo a Tuberculosis (TB) test which can be done at any hospital and can be completed within the day. The sponsoring partner also needs to earn a minimum of £18,600 p.a. before tax. If these criteria are met, the applicant will then need to complete the necessary application – something that we can help you with.


What happens if the application is successful?


As an extremely professional company, we will tell you upfront at the initial 30-minute consultation if we think that your application stands a good chance of being accepted. We like to stress that you won’t pay any agency fees if you don’t receive your visa. Assuming that your application is accepted, a UK Spouse visa will be granted for a probationary period of 2 years and 6 months which can be extended for a further 2 years and 6 months if you are still married and living together. An NHS Surcharge will then need to be paid in order for the applicant to be eligible for NHS healthcare.


Is it possible to settle permanently – apply to settle in the UK?


Settling means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions. After the initial 5 years have passed, the applicant can apply for “Indefinite Leave to Remain” which means the applicant can settle in the UK. It is important to note that any other visas such as a Fiancée visa won’t count towards the 5 years unless you applied prior to 9 July 2012.

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language if you’re 18 or over and applying for citizenship or to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’).

You can prove it by having either one of the following :

Why use a professional Company?


Like with most things in life, employing the services of an expert is always advisable. Here at Thai Visa Express, we pride ourselves on being professional immigration consultants. We provide fast, cost-effective service and know exactly how the application process works as we deal with the British Embassy in Bangkok on a daily basis.


This will take a great deal of the stress out of your application and give you the greatest chance of having the application accepted.So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.


Contact US