Do I Need to Tell the Home Office I have Separated from My Husband?

Separate from British Husband

Going through a separation is never a nice thing to have to do, but it is essential that you follow the right procedure to maintain your rights in the UK. If your relationship ends with the person you were with when you arranged your UK Spouse Visa, you must inform the Home Office immediately. Of course, at this stressful time, you will want all the help that you can get, and at Thai Visa Express we can offer you the assistance that you need.


Can I stay in the UK after a divorce?


It is possible to stay in the UK after you have divorced your husband, and there are potentially four avenues that are open to you. These are:

  1. Staying on your own merit– if you have been in the UK for five or more years you could apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
  2. As a parent– if you have children at school in the UK, you may be able to take the parent option, but certain conditions must be met
  3. Long-term resident– if you have lived in the UK for several years, perhaps even on different visas, you again may be eligible for ILR
  4. Work Visa– if you are working in the UK, you may be able to transfer your visa to a Tier 2 general worker visa. There are again restrictions on this so you would need to seek professional advice


How can Thai Visa Express Help?


Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.

Contact US