Do you need a UK Fiancée Visa to get married in the UK?

Do you need a UK Fiancée Visa to get married in the UK?


The simple answer is ‘no’. Your Thai girlfriend would require a marriage visitors visa to enter the UK with the intention to marry. If the purpose of visiting the UK is to marry your Thai fiancée and then settle the answer is “yes”. The marriage must take place within the 6 month period of the visa otherwise your Thai girlfriend will be forced to leave the country


Once you have married your Thai girlfriend in the UK and all the legalities have been completed, your new Thai wife will be granted a further extension without leaving the UK which is known as “Further Leave to Remain”. This will mean that your Thai wife will be able to remain in the country legally for a further 2 years and 9 months. During this period of time, your wife will be allowed to work – something that she wouldn’t have been able to do on a UK Fiancée Visa.


The extension, when granted,  allows your wife to have a National Insurance number as well as being able to open bank accounts in her own name. The FLR grants your Thai wife permission to do everything that a settled wife would be able to do. The only difference is that your new Thai wife will have no entitlement to any state benefits. However, Child Benefit is allowed if you and your Thai wife have a child together, as this is a permitted benefit. It should be noted that when you extend the visa you must pay the immigration health surcharge as well as the visa fee.




When Should You Apply For A Fiancée Visa?


It is certainly advisable for you and your Thai girlfriend to visit the UK first on a general visitors visa. The purpose of this is because the culture in the UK is very different from that in Thailand and it would be wise for her to familiarise herself with the UK first before deciding to settle. The general feeling is that this is looked upon more favorable when you apply for the Fiancée Visa. However, here at Thai Visa Express, we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and we will do all we can to assist you with your application.




What are the general requirements?


In the same manner, as with the UK Spouse Visa, three key criteria must be met before the application will be accepted. These are to pass the A1 (IELTS) English Test, be free from Tuberculosis, and that the sponsor meets the financial criteria that are put in place by UKVI. Quite simply, you MUST have an annual income of £18,600 or more before tax or, £62,500 in savings in the bank or a combination of the two, self-employment, pension income is just an example of how you can meet the financial requirements. Sadly, if you cannot meet these criteria, your application may be immediately denied.


There are lots of companies that claim to offer UK visa services in Thailand but many are simply out to make money and offer little to no advice or assistance. Here at Thai Visa Express, as the only UK OISC accredited company in Thailand. We can give you all the information that you need to make all the correct decisions when it comes to the financial requirements for your UK Fiancée Visa. So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.

Contact US