How to Get Legally Married in Thailand as a Farang

Marry in Thai


If you have been with your Thai girlfriend for any length of time, there is a good chance that marriage has cropped up in the conversation on more than one occasion. Having a “village wedding” is one thing that often satisfies the Thai family as a dowry is usually paid, and the family receives gold or cash for their daughter. However, if you want to do things correctly, really you need to be legally married, and that is what this blog is about.


How Do I Get Started?

  1. You will need to obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from your Embassy in Bangkok. For this article, we will assume that you are British, but the same applies to any nationality. Your Thai fiancée will need her Thai ID card and her house registration book
  2. You will need to get your Affirmation to Marry officially translated into Thai
  3. After it has been translated, you will need to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the translation legalised
  4. The marriage will need to be registered at the local Amphur (the district office), and this will validate the marriage and make it legally binding
  5. Once the marriage has been legalised the marriage certificates will be issued in the Thai language
  6. The certificates then need to be officially translated into English and taken again to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have the translation certified
  7. You will then need to formally register the marriage at the British Embassy in Bangkok so that it becomes recognised in the UK
  8. If you are legally married, your now Thai wife will be allowed to live in the UK on a UK Spouse Visa


Talk to Us!


We can assist you with any UK Visa. We can help your Thai wife to obtain a UK Spouse Visa as we deal with the British Embassy in Bangkok daily we know what is required. So, if you would like more information, call us on +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.

Contact US