Which UK visa does my Thai spouse need?

Which UK visa does my Thai spouse need?

Which UK visa does my Thai spouse need? It is something that we are hearing on an increasingly frequent basis that people are being forced to move back to the UK. Of course, this can be heartbreaking and it is only natural that you want to take your Thai wife with you. It is vital that you apply for the correct UK Visa and in this situation, it would be the UK Spouse Visa as opposed to the UK Tourist Visa. If this is something that you feel would appropriate to you, as the only UK OISC accredited company in Thailand, we are in the perfect position to assist you.

What is required?

Obviously, like with any other visa, there are certain criteria that must be met. Naturally, you must be legally married to your Thai wife and you both should be over 18 years of age. The applicant, in almost all cases, your Thai girlfriend, must be proficient in English and have the appropriate documentation to prove this such as the A1 English Test or having passed the recently updated IELTS test.

There are certain medical tests that must be passed such as ensuring that the applicant is free from tuberculosis (TB). The sponsoring partner, unless this is the applicant themselves, must earn a minimum of £18,600p.a. before tax. Assuming that the aforementioned criteria are met, you can then begin the application process.

What are the chances of my application being accepted and what happens next?

We always recommend that you use a professional visa company to assist you when you are making such an important application. Here at Thai Visa Express, we will always offer you honest advice with regards to if we think your visa application will be accepted. Obviously, this depends very much on your own personal circumstances and this is something that we will discuss with you.

If you meet all the criteria and your paperwork is completed correctly, the UK Spouse Visa will be granted for a period of two and a half years which will be extended for a further two and a half years if you are still married and living together. Once the application has been approved, the NHS Surcharge will then need to be paid in order for the applicant to be eligible for NHS healthcare.

Will my Thai spouse be able to stay in the UK permanently?

After your Thai spouse has stayed in the UK for a sustained period of 5 years, she will be able to apply for “Indefinitely Leave to Remain” which effectively means that she can settle in the UK. Any other previous stays in the UK on a Tourist or Fiancée Visa will not count towards the 5 years.

Which UK visa does my Thai spouse need?

Find the right visa to enter the UK – family visa information.

How we can help

Here at Thai Visa Express, we deal with the British Embassy in Bangkok on a daily basis. We, therefore, know exactly what is required and can offer you helpful hints and tips. So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: info@thaivisaexpress.com or alternatively contact us via our website.

Contact US