NHS Surcharge – Immigration health surcharge

NHS Surcharge

As of 6 April 2015, Non-EEA nationals making UK visa applications are required to pay an NHS surcharge, often referred to as the ‘immigration health surcharge’. Although this will add an additional cost to the visa application, it will entitle the applicant to free National Health Service (NHS) healthcare. However, it should be understood that prescriptions, dental treatment, and eye tests still need to be paid for.



What is the NHS surcharge?


You might need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) as part of your immigration application. The charge would be applicable to anybody looking to settle in the UK on a more permanent basis, such as your spouse and any dependents.




When do we pay the Immigration health surcharge?


When you submit your online visa application you will pay the surcharge first, you will then pay the visa application fees.



When do we pay the fee?


  • If the applicant is applying from outside the UK this will be paid as part of your visa application.
  • If they are applying from inside the UK if, for instance, they are converting a UK Fiancée Visa to a UK Spouse Visa, the annual surcharge would be paid once you submit your further leave to remain application as part of the process.


What does it cost?


The Immigration Health Surcharge fee increased on 08 January 2019. The surcharge for students and any dependents is £300 per person, per year of the visa. The application is relatively straightforward but the applicant will obviously need to provide some information in order for the application process to begin. The information is normally taken from the online visa application form automatically, you must check the details are correct before paying the fees indegenerique.com.





What if my visa application is refused will I get a refund?


You’ll get a full IHS refund if for example :

  • you paid twice
  • your visa application is refused
  • you withdraw your visa application


You will not be entitled to  a refund if:

  • you have issued a visa application  but you do not come to the UK
  • you left the UK before your visa ends
  • you’re asked  to leave the UK before your visa expires
  • you’re applying for indefinite leave to remain or change to another type of visa where you do not need to pay the IHS


If you are unsure about the application for either immigration surcharge or applying for a UK settlement visa for your Thai spouse we recommend using a professional company. As the only OISC accredited company in Thailand, Thai Visa Express are in a perfect position to assist you with all your visa requirements. So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: info@thaivisaexpress.com or alternatively contact us via our website.

Contact US