Opening a Bank Account in the UK for Your Thai Wife

Open UK bank account

When your Thai wife moves to the UK on a UK Spouse Visa, one of the first things that she will need to arrange is a UK bank account. While on the face of it, this may seem straightforward, however, it can be far more complicated than you would imagine, especially when it comes to proving her address.


What documents are required?


Three documents will be required to open a bank account. These are:

  • Something to prove her identity – her passport is ideal
  • Something to prove your Thai wife can legally stay in the country – again the visa in her passport would show this
  • Proof of address – this would be a utility bill, bank or credit card statement, a copy of a tenancy agreement, a council tax bill


The proof of address is tough to prove, especially if she has just moved to the country. Some banks will now accept a letter from the Job Centre Plus that includes her National Insurance number.


Which bank is best?


Although there is not a right or wrong answer with this, most people choose one of the “Big 4” banks in the UK. These are:

  • Barclays
  • HSBC
  • Lloyds
  • Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)/NatWest


We can help


Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand. In addition, we can give helpful hints and tips about beginning your life in the UK. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.

Contact US