If you are unsure of whether or not you qualify for a UK Domestic Workers Visa look no further than this simple set of guidelines.
First, you have to ask yourself, “do I qualify?. You must be…
- Between 18 and 65 years old
- Have worked for the same employer for at least one year
- Work in a private household
- Have a job that falls in the personal care category (cook, nanny, chauffeur, cleaner, etc.)
- Are not planning to change employers
UK Domestic Workers Visa – How to get One
If you answered yes to all of these requirements, great, just remember they only apply to you. If you have any dependents, they will need to apply separately for their own tourist visa. There are also standards that your employer will be required to meet. It is good to make yourself aware of them, keeping you as safe and up to speed on the process as possible.
How long will it take?
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
To be up to standard your employer must…
- pay you at least the national minimum wage
- they, their partner, or child must be traveling with you
- cannot be planning to stay in the UK for more than six months
- give you agreed holiday pay
- give you the notice you’re entitled to if your employment ends
You will lose your visa if your employer breaks any immigration laws. Please consider this before applying for a visa.
When going through the application it would do you well to prepare ready information about your job beforehand. These are the documents that you will need pertaining to your job. Please note that these documents will need to be from the same period of employment. UK domestic workers can be very complex Thai Visa Express are experienced UK immigration consultants should you require professional immigration advice.
You and your employer can make sure you can provide the following :
- bank statements or payslips from the last six months
- a letter from your employer stating you have worked for them for over a year
- a signed statement of the terms and conditions of your job
- signed confirmation from your employer saying they will pay you at least the minimum wage while in the UK
Also, you can get free and confidential advice from the Acas helpline. You can also contact these organizations for help from Kalayaan – for free, confidential, and independent advice for domestic workers in the UK.
UK Domestic Workers Visa – Fees
It costs £405 for a visa as a domestic worker in a private household
Apply from outside the UK – UK Domestic Workers Visa
There are other documents that you will need in addition to these. It is necessary you are able to support yourself without the use of public funds. Do not be afraid to reach out and contact us if you have questions. We can help process your visa the right way.