What UK visa do I need for my Thai Partner ?

Which UK visa is right for me – What are the different types of UK visas available?


Most of us who have lived in Thailand for any period of time have a Thai partner and if you are British, there is a good chance that you will want to take them to the UK. There is a range of different types of UK visa and it will depend on your personal circumstances for which one is the most appropriate for you indegenerique.be. Naturally, ensuring that you apply for the correct visa is extremely important, if not the application is doomed to failure at the first hurdle. Speaking to experts such as Thai Visa Express, Thailand’s only UK OISC accredited company, is the ideal starting point.


How do you get a visa for the UK?

  1. Visit the UK government website for visas and immigration in India and apply for a visa here – AccessUK.

  2. On the day of your appointment, plan to arrive 15 minutes early at the visa application centre. …

  3. You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

The first thing that you must consider is if you are visiting the UK for a short period (6 months or less) or if you are planning something more permanent. It is a good idea to have your ultimate objective established prior to applying. Here are the options that are open to you:


The UK Tourist Visa – general visitors visa to the UK


If you are planning on taking your Thai partner to the UK for a holiday the most appropriate visa would be the UK Tourist Visa. This will allow you to see friends and family along with all the fantastic sights of the UK. Your Thai girlfriend or Thai wife will be able to stay in the UK on a UK Tourist Visa for anything up to 6 months. If you are planning regular trips, it may be possible to apply for a  1, 2, 5, or 10 year UK Visitor Visa. It should be noted, this only allows the holder to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months out of 12 so not suitable for extended stays. We can advise you on this and also complete your application.


Something a little more permanent….


The UK Spouse Visa – also known as a marriage visa to the UK

If you live permanently in the UK or you are planning on moving back to the UK, you may want your Thai partner to come back with you, in which case a UK Spouse Visa could be the best option. To obtain a UK Spouse Visa you must be legally married or in a civil partnership and be married to a British Citizen. The UK Spouse Visa gives both you and your Thai partner a level of security as the initial probationary period is for 2 years and 6 months that can be extended by 30 months if you are still married and living together.


UK Settlement Visa – after 5 years your wife/partner can apply for permanent residence


If everything is still going well with you and your partner after the 5 years have passed, and you have lived in the UK continuously for this time, it is possible to apply for “Indefinite Leave to Remain”. For most families planning on living back in the UK, this is objective and at Thai Visa Express we can help you with this. Certain criteria must be met, as with all the different types of visas, but we can talk you through this and help with the application.


Contact US