What are the main types of Visa for the UK?

Types of UK Visa

If you are considering taking your Thai girlfriend, fiancée or wife to visit or live in the UK, you will want to know which visa she should apply for. The most important factor affecting your decision will almost certainly be the duration of her stay, closely followed by the relationship that you have with your Thai lady. Here is our quick guide to the UK Visas.


The UK Tourist Visa

  • This visa will allow your Thai lady to stay in the UK for up to 6 months in any given 12 month period
  • Multiple entry visa
  • It is possible to get a 1, 2, 5 or 10 year UK Tourist Visa
  • Your Thai girlfriend must be able to support herself in the UK
  • No recourse to public funds and not permitted to work in any capacity


The UK Spouse Visa

  • You and your Thai wife must be LEGALLY married to qualify for the UK Spouse Visa
  • Must plan to live together in the UK
  • The visa is granted for an initial period of 30 months and extended by a further 30 months after the probation period if your circumstances still remain the same
  • After 5 years of continuously living in the UK, your Thai wife can apply for “Indefinite Leave to Remain” (ILR) making her a permanent resident
  • Your wife will be permitted to work and use the NHS (for a surcharge) but will have no recourse to public funds


UK Fiancée Visa

  • The UK Fiancée Visa is the visa that you must apply for if you are planning to get married in the UK
  • You must get married within 6 months
  • You must be in a genuine relationship
  • Your Thai fiancée will not be permitted to work or claim government funds before marriage
  • Can be converted into a UK Spouse Visa after marriage



How can Thai Visa Express Help?


Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.


Contact US