Should I apply UK fiancée Visa or a UK spouse visa

Should I apply UK fiancée Visa or a UK spouse visa ?

It is something that we get asked quite a lot, but knowing which visa is right for you and your circumstances, is essential. When it comes to deciding whether you need a UK Fiancée Visa or a UK Spouse Visa, it will depend solely on if you plan to get married in the UK. If you aren’t planning to marry in the UK, and not settle then you definitely do NOT need a UK Fiancée Visa but should explore other options including a marriage visitors visa.

The UK Fiancée Visa


The UK Fiancée Visa allows the applicant to stay in the UK for a period of up to six months, and during this time, you must plan to marry. On application, you will need to prove that you have made firm plans such as booking a venue and made other arrangements. If you plan to live in the UK afterward, the visa can be converted to a UK Spouse Visa; otherwise, you will need to leave the country.

The UK Spouse Visa


The UK Spouse Visa is appropriate if you and your Thai wife plan to live together permanently in the UK. For this you must be:

  • Legally married
  • Both 18 years of age or older
  • Be in a genuine relationship
  • Plan to live together as man and wife in the UK
  • Having earnings of £18,600p.a. or over


The UK Spouse Visa is a long-term visa and will allow your Thai wife to work in the UK, and have access to the NHS after she has paid the NHS Surcharge.


The UK Tourist Visa


The UK Tourist Visa is a short-term visa that will allow your Thai wife or Thai girlfriend to visit the UK as a tourist. She will be allowed to stay in the country for six out of the twelve months in the year but will not be allowed to work or have access to public funds, including the NHS.


How can Thai Visa Express help?


Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.

Contact US