Thai Girlfriend Relationships and UK Visas

If you have been a relationship with your Thai girlfriend for any length of time, there is a good chance that you will want to take her back to the UK. Obviously, and this should go without saying, it is essential that she has the correct UK visa. Which visa is correct for you may depend on the stage you and your relationship. You may just be starting out in your relationship with your Thai partner or you could be looking at settling down with your with them. Regardless, here at Thai Visa Express, we can help you get the UK visa that you need.

Here is a very short breakdown regarding the UK visa that your Thai girlfriend will need:

UK Tourist Visa – general visitors visas

If you and your Thai girlfriend’s relationship is still in its infancy then the chances are this will just be a short visit to the UK, in which case you will require a UK Tourist Visa. Your Thai lady will be able to stay in the UK for anything up to 6 months, and this visa is also applicable for your Thai wife if she is just planning on a short stay. Generally, your Thai girlfriend’s UK visa will be granted each time she travels but if your planning regular trips, it may be possible to get visas that last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. However, the UK Visitor Visa only allows a maximum stay of 6 months out of 12.

What documents do I need for UK tourist visa?

Passport valid for a minimum of 180 days with at least two blank pages.
Correct visa fee.
Two recent 50 mm * 50 mm size photographs. Please check the Photo Specification.
Duly filled online Application form* and Declaration with signatures.(Printed and duly signed)

If you and your Thai girlfriend’s relationship is getting a little more serious, and you are looking at the correct UK visa for your Thai girlfriend then you may need to consider these options:

UK Spouse Visa – how does this work?

As the name would suggest, this visa is for those who are legally married. This is perhaps the correct visa if you are planning on moving back to the UK permanently with your new wife. Your relationship has now got to the stage where you are both looking for a little more security and this is exactly what the UK Spouse Visa gives. The visa has an initial probationary period is for 2 years and 6 months that can be extended by 30 months if you are still married and living together.

  • 30 months – your spouse can then renew their visa from the UK for another 2 years and 6 months. They can apply to settle in the UK after 5 years- indefinite leave to remain. After receiving indefinite leave to remain for 1 year – totals 6 years in the UK they can apply for British citizenship.

If your relationship has got very serious, and permanent residency does seem to be your ultimate goal, you can apply for “Indefinite Leave to Remain”. To achieve this you and your partner must have been living together continuously in the UK for 5 years on a UK Spouse Visa. Naturally, certain criteria must be met and it can be a stressful time waiting to see if it is granted. At Thai Visa Express we can guide you through the process as we can with all UK visas to try and alleviate much of the stress.

Talk to Us!

We can assist you with any type of UK visa. We can help your Thai girlfriend obtain a UK visa as we deal with the British Embassy in Bangkok on a daily basis we know exactly what is required. So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.

Contact US