What is a UK Residence Card?

What is a UK Residence Card?

If your Thai wife is planning to live in the UK, she will need to apply for a UK Residence Card, sometimes referred to as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). If you Thai girlfriend is planning to come to the UK for a period of over six months, (obviously not on a UK Tourist Visa) she will also need to apply.

Here are the circumstances when your Thai lady will need to apply for a UK Residence Card:

  • If your Thai wife is planning to live in the UK and has a UK Spouse Visa
  • Your Thai lady has had her visa extended so she can stay for more than six months
  • Your Thai wife has applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
  • If an existing visa needs transferring to a new passport


  • If the application is made in the UK, it is £65 per person. It is the same amount for dependent children
  • If completed at a larger Post Office, there is an additional charge of £19.20

Other Requirements

  • A digital photo of the applicant’s face
  • A digital scan of fingerprints
  • An example signature

The BRP should be received within ten days of the application being made and will be valid for five years from the date of application. If the card has not been received after ten days, you should contact the Home Office on BRCDelivery@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk.#

Apply for a UK residence card – further guidance.

How can Thai Visa Express Help?

Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.

Contact US