What is needed for a Returning Residents Visa?

What is needed for a Returning Residents Visa?

If you and your Thai wife have previously lived together in the UK before living in Thailand and you are considering returning to the UK, your Thai wife could apply for Returning Residents Visa if she has been out of the UK for longer than two years.


Most of the elements are similar to those she would have needed to have met when she previously, assuming she did, applied for a UK Spouse Visa. Here is a basic lowdown on what else will be required:

  • Previously been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
  • Plan to reside in the UK permanently
  • She must have left the UK of her own free will
  • She must prove that she has a strong connection with the UK
  • She must explain the reasons for leaving the UK previously

If you’ve been away for more than 2 years

You must provide enough evidence to show:

  • your strong ties to the UK
  • your current circumstances and why you’ve lived outside the UK

How long does the application process take?

Your Thai wife will need to submit her application to the British Embassy in Bangkok. It is something that we can help you with as we deal with them daily and have developed an excellent working relationship.

How long will your Thai wife be able to stay in the UK on a Returning Residents Visa?

After the visa has been granted, your Thai wife will be able to live in the UK permanently.

What documents are required to apply for a Returning Residents Visa?

  • Your Thai wife will need to take:
  • Her original passport and any previous passport with the original UK Spouse Visa
  • One passport-sized color photo
  • Proof of ties to the UK such as proof of income or owning/renting a property

* Other information may be requested on an individual basis.

How can Thai Visa Express Help?

Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.

Contact US