How Long Can a Tourist Stay in Thailand?

How Long Can a Tourist Stay in Thailand?

For nationals of most countries including the UK, the USA, Australia, and countries within the EU, a tourist can enter Thailand without needing to apply for a Thai Tourist Visa prior to travel. They will be granted a “Visa on Entry” so long as they have a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining and they have no reason not to be permitted entry to The Kingdom.

When the tourist arrives in the country the Thai Immigration official will stamp the passport allowing a stay of up to 30 days in Thailand if they arrive by either land or air. This can be extended by a further 30-days by paying a THB 1,900 at a Thai Immigration office – in Pattaya, this is in Jomtien Soi 5. We can assist you with obtaining this extension if you are unsure of what is required or how to do it.


Thai Tourist Visas from overseas


If you are planning on staying in Thailand for more than 30 days it may be wise to obtain a Thai Tourist Visa prior to travel. You can get these by going to the Thai Embassy in your home country or at a Thai Consulate. Assuming that you qualify for this type of visa, there are some financial restrictions, it will be granted for a period of 60 days and must be used within 90 days of being issued. Once again, the visa can be extended for a further 30 days at the Thai Immigration Department for the same THB1,900 fee which will facilitate a stay of a total of 90 days.


How can I stay in Thailand for longer?


It is quite common for people to want to stay in Thailand for longer than the 90 days which they could on a Thai Tourist Visa. The long-term options do, naturally, have several stipulations attached to them but each of the options is briefly explained below.


Thai Work Visa – Non-Immigrant B Visa


For anyone to legally work (in almost all circumstances) in Thailand they must have a valid Thai work permit and work visa. To obtain one, a company, foreign government, or organization must apply for one on your behalf. You will obtain the initial Non-immigrant B Visa from outside The Kingdom and this will be valid for 90 days but can be extended to one year.


Retirement Visa – Non-Immigrant O-A Visa


Any foreigner over the age of 50 can apply for a Retirement Visa in Thailand. The applicant must have sufficient financial means to support themselves which means a monthly income of THB65,000 or over THB800,000 in savings in a Thai bank account. The visa is valid for one year.


Thai Marriage Visa – Non-Immigrant O Visa

If you are legally married to a Thai national you can apply for a Thai Marriage Visa. The applicant must have a monthly income of THB40,000 per month or have THB400,000 in savings in a Thai bank account. The visa is valid for one year and the holder is permitted to apply for a Thai work permit.


We can help!

We can help you with obtaining any type of visa for Thailand. If you would like more information, you can call us on +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.

Contact US