I am Planning to Marry my Thai Girlfriend in the UK

I am Planning to Marry my Thai Girlfriend in the UK

If you have been with your Thai girlfriend for any length of time, no doubt wedding bells will have been mentioned. There are lots of different forms of wedding Thailand such as the ‘village wedding’ which is ceremonial rather than legally binding or the ‘proper’ wedding where everything is officially approved at the Amphur. Alternatively, you may be looking to marry your Thai fiancée in the UK, in which case she will need a UK Fiancée Visa.


The UK Fiancée Visa is regarded as one of the hardest visas to obtain as it is important to demonstrate that you are in a legitimate relationship and that it will be a genuine marriage. This is why you need to use the services of a professional company such as Thai Visa Express to guide you through the process. It should be stressed that a village wedding will not allow you to apply for a UK Marriage Visa in the future, if this is your plan and that you need to be LEGALLY married.



I am Planning to Marry my Thai Girlfriend in the UK  -What happens next?



As we mentioned, the UK Fiancée Visa is notoriously difficult to obtain. Like all UK visas, there are some strict criteria that must be met. The most obvious is that the sponsoring partner must earn a minimum of £18,600 p.a. or have sufficient savings, or a combination of both. Our experienced team can discuss with you what is allowable income. Of course, you will be expected to pay the relevant fees in addition.


The next point is demonstrating that you intend to marry in the UK. This can be harder than you think but could include things such as documentation proving a venue has been booked or a registrar organized. You must also prove your relationship is genuine. If your Thai fiancée has been to the UK with you in the past, this will help.


You must get married within the 6 months validity of the visa and once you are married, the visa can be extended for 2.5 years at which point a further application fee is payable. Once you have opted to extend your now Thai wife’s stay in the UK, she will need to pay the NHS Surcharge which will entitle her to free healthcare the same as any British national. Your Thai wife will now be free to seek legal employment in the UK and will get a National Insurance number. Dependents can apply to settle in the UK at the same time.


Prior to applying for the UK Fiancée Visa or any other long-term UK visa, your Thai girlfriend would need to pass the A1 (or IELTS) and prove that she is free from TB. We strongly suggest that you use a professional company to help you with your application. If you require assistance, you can call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: info@thaivisaexpress.com or alternatively contact us via our website.


Contact US