Settling in the UK After 10 Years

Settling in the UK after 10 years

It is not only Thai wives that wish to settle in the UK, but there are also numerous Thai people living and working in the UK who may want to live in the country permanently. If you have lived in the UK for more than 10 years, it is possible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).


To whom does the application need to be made?


The application would need to be made to the UK Home Office and is known as an “Application under Long Residence Provision”.


What are the criteria?


The applicant must have:

  • Been a “Continuous Resident” for years or more
  • Have had a valid visa such as UK Student Visa or a UK Work Visa
  • Spent less than 540 days outside the UK during the entire 10 year period
  • Not less the UK for more than 6 months at any one time
  • Returned to the UK while having remaining leave to enter


Are any tests required?


As with all applications for ILR, the applicant must pass the following tests:

  • Life in the UK Test
  • Proof of the required English skills such as passing the A1 English (IELTS) exam


To whom does this apply?


Obtaining ILR in this manner is most commonly used by those who don’t automatically qualify to apply for ILR after five years. Most often, this is people who have lived in the UK under the Tier categories.


Talk to Us!

If you are looking to achieve settlement in the UK under the Long Residence Provisions, then why not call us on +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively, contact us via our website?


Contact US